This is my first time decorating a box with felt and I will likely make more of these in the future since it turned out so well! Most materials can be purchased from the dollar store and the rest can be found at your local crafts store.
It's perfect for holding small objects or as a personalized gift!
|The lid is soft and cushiony|
|The wooden part is actually slightly glossy|
|The hen and the chick are also stuffed|
|Inside is lined with felt|
|Great for holding small objects|
Scissors, ruler, needle & thread, glue gun
Wooden box, felt sheets, stuffing
Beads, leather string/cord, Mod Podge or varnish, paint brush
Click below see tutorial!
I suggest you read over all the steps before starting! Good luck!
Decorating the lid:
1. Remove the clasp on the lid. You can use an exacto-knife to pry it out gently, but please be careful!
2. Measure the size of your lid (don't forget the sides) and cut out a piece of square felt large enough to cover the whole lid snugly
3. Center the piece of felt on the lid and sew the corners (picture 3)
4. Cut off the triangular excess. Don't cut too close to the stitches or they'll come out! (picture 4)
5. Flip inside out (picture 5)
6. Fit the felt "cap" onto the lid and play with the positioning of your pieces (picture 6)
7. After your design is set, remove the cap from the lid and sew the bits down, adding stuffing where necessary. You can always decorate using additional materials such as beads or ribbon (picture 7 & 8)
8. Place the cap back onto the lid to test the fitting. Make sure the felt cap aligns with the lid's edge. If you have to, stretch the felt a little to make a better fit
9. Remove the felt cap from the lid to add some stuffing. Only stuff the top part of the lid, not the sides!
10. Use a hot glue gun to secure the four sides of the cap down onto the box. Be careful not to add too much glue as it will seep through the fabric or leak from the edges
11. Fit the clasp back onto the top portion of the box. It will have to puncture the felt and possibly the glue, so press hard!
12. Wrap a leather string/cord around the sides of the lid and tie a tight knot. You can also do this with ribbon if you like
Lining the inside:
1. Measure the inside of the box and cut out five pieces of felt (one for the bottom, four for the sides)
2. Secure the pieces with a glue gun
Varnishing the body:
**Please do this in a well ventilated area! You wouldn't want to inhale the smelly chemicals like I did x_x
1. Remove the clasp on the bottom portion of the box
2. Dab some Mod Podge (the glossy version), and paint 3-4 layers on all sides of the box. Allow the previous layer to dry for several minutes before painting on the next layer.
3. Allow it to dry for a few hours (It will feel like it's sticky, but it's actually not)
4. Replace the clasp